Gass Forest Museum is a government run natural history museum situated at Coimbatore, Toward the end of the 19th century, an aborted attempt was made by J. A. Gamble, the conservator of forests of Madras Presidency to establish a forest museum in the province. A few years later in 1902, Gamble’s successor as Conservator of Forests, Horace Arichibald Gass, succeeded in establishing a museum for forestry. It was opened to the public 15 April 1902 by Baron Ampthill, the then Governor of Madras. When Gass, the first curator, retired in 1905, his successor F. A. Lodge renamed the museum in his honor. It was expanded in 1905 and 1915. In 1912, the Madras Forestry College and was established in the museum grounds to train foresters. During 1942-47, the museum was closed and the buildings used as shelters for World War II evacuees from Malta and Greece. After Indian Independence in 1947, the museum came under the Government of Tamil Nadu. It is currently administered by the management of Institute for Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding, which is also situated in the same campus as the museum. The museum was reopened for public on May 1, 2015 after carrying out renovation works. It is one of the oldest buildings in Coimbatore and it is over 100 years old, in a way the museum building itself is an heritage site. Museum is within Forest college campus grounds and it feels like a mini forest within the city. Apart from wildlife the exhibits include Arms used in olden days, wood crafts, huge collection of insects, cultural artifacts and many more. Main Attractions are the Preserved and stuffed animals, birds and reptiles. A 3D diorama depicting wildlife in its natural habitat has been added. Forest Museum should be on your must-see list when you are in Coimbatore. The forestry artifacts here include: timber, non-timber forest products, wood crafts, wildlife, entomology, mycology, geology, ethnology, arms, forest engineering and environment. The Museum has collections of every important timber species found in India. Remarkable among the exhibits is a 456-year-old cross section of teak with a girth of 5.7 m and an enormous 10.2 m high sandal tree weighing 1.75 tons.