Government Museum at Tiruchirappalli is a heritage centre, It is situated at Rani Mangammal Mahal in Bharathidasansan town, near the super bazaar.The nearest landmark is the famous Rockfort temple. Rani Mangamma Mahal was built by Chokkanatha Nayak, the then ruler of Madurai. It was also known as the Durbar Hall of the Madurai Nayaks when Tiruchirapally was their capital, from 1616 to 1634 and later from 1665 to 1731. The museum contains both indoor and outdoor exhibits of up to 2000 objects. Some of the indoor exhibits include epoch artifacts like megalithic sculptures, carvings, stone age inscriptions, musical instruments, tools, currencies and Chola-era coins, paintings, photographs, rare documents, palm leaf manuscripts, fossils, tribal life of pachamalai & kohli hills, weapon & cannonballs used by Hyder Ali, Early days snaps from BHEL company, Srirangam temple model, Rockfort temple model and philatelic materials. The stone idols in the sculpture park form the outdoor exhibits. The park opened on 17 April 2012 has about 45 Hindu sculptures of gods and goddesses dating 13th century to 18th century including sacrificial altar, stone Nandi’s and Lingams. The museum also has an ecology section which houses a collection of rare insects, birds and mammals. Rare sculpture from Thanjavur paintings displaying Lord Thirumal as crawling Krishna is on the display. Also the display of Goddess Durga, Saint Manickavasagar, Chandra Sekhare and Lord Nataraja can been seen.