Kannur, also known as Cannanore, is a beautiful city on the northern side of Kerala. This place is famous for Communist politics and temple festivals. Kannur is the administrative headquarters of the district of Kannur. It is known as Land of Looms and Lores. During British rule in India, Kannur was known by its Portuguese name of Cannanore, which is still in fairly common usage. This is the largest city of North Malabar. The main language spoken is Malayalam. However, English, Hindi and Tamil are the other languages which are also spoken and understood by the majority of the people. A historical town famous for its strong heritage, martial arts ‘Kalaripayattu’, temple art ‘Theyyam’, forts, beaches and spices/coffee growing hills.
St. Angelo’s Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India and is on the Arabian Sea about 3 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler in the Siege of Cannanore (1507). The fort changed hands several times. A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry behind it can be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663. They modernised the fort and built the bastions Hollandia, Zeelandia and Frieslandia that are the major features of the present structure. The original Portuguese fort was pulled down later. The Dutch sold the fort to King Ali Raja of Arakkal in 1772. In 1790 the British seized it and used it as their chief military station in Malabar till 1947. The fort is in the Cannanore Cantonment area. It is fairly well preserved as a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. St Angelo’s fort is a most important historical monument and a popular tourist attraction.
Arackal Kottaram Palace of Arackal Ali Rajas, the only Muslim royal family of Kerala, the palace is a treasure for history buffs. Though the palace is a private property of current Ali Beevi (Queen), much of the palace has been thrown open to visitors to see the grandeur of Kerala Islamic art and architecture. Traditionally, Arakkal Rajas were famous traders, who established several trading centres and factories in Maldives, Lakshadweep, Mauritius, Muscat and Cairo. As art lovers, Arakkal Rajas imported several artefacts from its trading countries and decorated his court. Today visitors can view some of the rare pieces of pre-colonial art and architecture masterpieces of South and West Asia, well preserved by the royal family.
Moppila Bay Centuries ago, this was the seat of Kolathiri Kings. The Kadalayi Fort and Sree Krishna Temple were quite famous. The remnants of the fort and the temple are still seen in Moppila Bay. A fishing harbour, built with Indo-Norwegian project assistance, can be seen in this bay. Boating in the sea, if the weather permits, will be an unforgettable experience.
Azhikkal Ferry There is the Valapattanam river joining the Arabian sea. Azhikkal ferry gives a magnificent view of the sunset. There is a granite pathway around 2 km from the sea at this place, once you reach the edge of the pathway you are surrounded by sea from all sides.
Triprangode Siva Temple is a Hindu temple located at Triprangode, near Tirur, Malappuram district, Kerala. It is one of the most important Hindu pilgrimage centres in northern Kerala. Inscriptions of the Later Chera ruler Goda Ravi Varma (10th century) were discovered from the Triprangode Siva Temple. Later, the region formed a part of the Kingdom of Tanur (Vettathunad), who was the vassals of the Zamorins of Calicut. The history behind Triprangode Siva Temple says Long ago, there lived a sage called Mrikandu with his wife Marudvati. Both were devotees of Shiva (He is the Eternal Lord. He is the Ruler of time Mahakaleshvara the Originator of time (Mahakala) and Destroyer of time (Kalari or Kalasamhara Murti). The couples were childless, and so decided to perform austerity rituals so they would be blessed with a child. Then one day, Shiva appeared before them, Shiva asked the couple if they desired an ordinary and mentally disabled son who would live a long life or an exceptional son who would live a short life up until the age of sixteen. In due course, Marudvati gave birth to a boy and the child was named Markandeya. Markandeya was an exceptionally gifted child and became an accomplished sage early in his childhood. He was especially devoted to Shiva and had mastered the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. As the boy was getting on to be sixteen, Rishi Mrikandu became sad. At the age of sixteen, his time on this earth will come to an end, and so Yama came to take his life away. The boy, Markandeya was afraid, he then ran to Lord Mahavishnu (the preserver) that he was helpless and he directed him to Triprangottappan (Lord Shiva). On the way to Triprangode temple, there was a huge banyan tree that stood by making difficult to enter into the temple. At the time he reached surprisingly the tree separated into two parts and then he could easily enter into the temple. Markandeya hugged the Shiva Lingam and requested Lord Shiva to protect him from Yama. Yama threw his noose around the boy sage it encircled the Shiva Lingam too.
At a blow, the Shiva Lingam burst open with a thundering roar and a majestic, fiery form of Lord Shiva appeared out of the blazing light. Lord Shiva was very angry and asked whether Yama has this much courage to encircle the Shiva Lingam with his noose, Shiva struck down Yama with his Trident (trishool) and Yama was no more. Markandeya was escaped from death. Shiva blessed Markandeya with eternal life and proclaimed that he shall remain forever as a sixteen-year-old sage. The assembly of Devas, who had witnessed all these, begged Shiva to revive Yama. Otherwise, there will be a situation in the world with people live long without death. This would put an unnecessary burden on the earth. Shiva then revived Yama and declared that His devotees were forever to be spared from the noose of Yama. Since that day, the fiery form of Shiva that appeared to save the boy-sage Markandeya is called Kalasamhara Murti. The temple is one of the most important temples in Kerala dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is situated on the side of fields known as ‘Vellottu padam’, spreads over a vast area of around 6 acres, with many sub-shrines, trees and ponds. There is a huge banyan tree in front of the temple. Another major tree in the temple complex is elanji tree, considered very important to Lord Shiva. The main idol is the swayambhoolingam of Lord Shiva, facing west. There is a shrine dedicated to Goddess Parvati towards the left side of Lord Shiva. There are four more shrines dedicated to Lord Shiva in the temple complex. One is considered the ‘moolasthanam’, that means the original seat of the Lord. It is called ‘Karanayil Temple’. The other three shrines represent the three steps taken by the Lord to kill Yama.
Dharmadam Island a small 5-acre island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes is a beautiful sight from the Muzhappilangad beach. During low tide, one can just walk to the island from the beach. It is surrounded by rivers and seas. Permission is required to enter this privately owned island. earlier known as Dharmapattanam was a Buddhist stronghold.
Sree Muthappan Temple This centre of worship and faith has in store many unique practices and rituals, and the temple architecture itself stand testimony to this aspect. The Parassinikadavu Muthappan (Siva) Temple on the banks of the Valapatnam River attracts people from all sections of the society; irrespective of religion, caste and promotes the essence of “Vasudaiva Kutumbakam The whole world is one family.” The origin of the Muthappan temple is connected to the appearance of a child who roamed the region with a string of interesting incidents and later vanished without a trace. The incidents up to the point of his disappearance later made the denizens feel the divine presence of Muthappan (Siva) who immediately erected a place of worship, which today is popularly known as the Parassinikadavu Muthappan Temple. The temple is also a popular destination for travellers and pilgrims to savour the charm of Theyyam, a ritual that is performed here on a daily basis. Men adorning masks and costumes with a riot of colours perform this temple art form and it represents the conflict between good and evil, with good ultimately emerging victorious.
The Peralassery Subramanya Temple is located 15 km’s from Kannur. It is also believed that people who visit Peralaserry temple must also visit the nearby Makrery temple. The main “vazhipaddu” or offerings in this temple are “Subramania Puja” and “Mutta Oppikal” (offering of eggs to the revered snake deity). The main deity of this temple is Lord Subramania. The Stepped Pool/Tank or “Chira” of the Peralassery Subramania temple is a magnificent structure. The week long Kodiyettam festival associated with the Peralassery Subramanya temple is in the Month of December, every year.
Gundert Bungalow of Rev. Dr Hermann Gundert (Stuttgart, 4 February 1814 – 25 April 1893 in Calw, Germany) was a German missionary, scholar, and linguist, as well as the grandfather of German novelist and Nobel laureate Hermann Hesse. Gundert compiled a Malayalam grammar book, Malayalabhaasha Vyakaranam (1859), in which he developed and constructed the grammar spoken by the Keralites, nowadays; a Malayalam-English dictionary (1872), and contributed to work on Bible translations into Malayalam. He worked primarily at Thalassery on the Malabar coast, in Kerala. Gundert also contributed to the fields of history, geography and astronomy.
Thalassery Fort is in Thalassery a town in Kannur District of Kerala. Tellicherry was one of the most important European trading centres of Kerala. The Fort lies in the group of low wooden hill running down to the sea and protected by natural waters. It has been the main opening for the rich spices, hill products and timber of the vast inter-land.
The French came first to Tellicherry for trading, they got a strong grip at Mahé, Puducherry. Towards the end of the 17th century, the British opened a factory north of Tellicherry. Later they obtained a site from Vadakkelamkur, the de facto ruler of Kolathunad and established a factory at Tellicherry in 1708. But the Udayamangalam branch of Kolathiri family and Korangoth Nair, the local chieftain resented this action and they attacked and caused serious damage to English property. In order to safeguard their trade activities with the support of the Kolathiri Raja, they build a fort around the out laying hills of Tellicherry. The French occupation of Mahé, Puducherry in 1725 compelled the British Company to strengthen the fortification to establish a stronghold on the Malabar Coast. In 1736, the British took the possession of Dharmadam Island. The British sustained strong military establishment at Tellicherry, from 1776 to 1784.
In 1781 Hyder Ali, ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore was unsuccessful in capturing the Fort in his campaign to control Malabar. His successor, Tipu Sultan, was forced to cede Malabar District to the British in 1792, at the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Maratha War.
The Tellicherry fort overlooking the sea raises to the height of 10m and it is oblong on the plan. It was built out of laterite blocks with high round holed walls and strong flanking bastions. The small redoubts on most of the out playing hills have long since disappeared, but Tellicherry fort is in the fair state of preservation. The square fort, with its massive walls, strong flanking bastions, secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors, is an imposing structure. A lighthouse marks the site of an old redoubt. The fort was once the nucleus of Thalassery’s development. Quite interestingly, Tellicherry was also famous for the cricket match played between the Europeans and local teams in the town near the seashore, which used to attract enormous crowds during those days. This is a centrally protected monument under the control of Archaeological Survey of India since 1921.
Odathil Mosque also known as Odathil Palli in Thalassery. The mosque was built around 1806. In the heart of Thalassery stands the 200-year-old Odathil Palli and the Garden Mosque. The site of the Odathil Palli used to be a sugarcane garden of the Dutch. It changed hands to the British-owned East India Company. Moosakaka a Muslim Keralite was the contractor of the East India Company. Moosakaka was considered to be very honest and trustworthy. Hence the company wanted to gift him for his loyalty. As per his request, he was given the sugar garden of the Dutch. Musakaka bought this land for a small price as he did not want it free. He constructed a beautiful mosque in Thalassery in the ‘Karimbin-odam’ Sugarcane plantation formerly belonged to the Dutch, occupied by the British. Odam means ‘garden’ in the Dutch language. Since it was constructed in Odam the mosque came to be called Odathil Palli, meaning ‘mosque in Odam’. The mosque had copper plate roofing and golden dome in the minor and share the scenic features as the ones noted in the Brahmin tradition. There was opposition in laying the dome a privilege enjoyed by the temples so Zamorin gave speed permission to lay the domes and the minaret. It highlights the communal harmony that prevailed in those days and the policy of enlightened toleration followed by the Kerala rulers.
Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary Spread over 55 square kilometres of undulating forested highlands on the slopes of the Western Ghats. It was established in 1984. The sanctuary adjoins the Central state Farm at Aralam. Aralam wildlife is situating in Muzhakkunnu panchayath and Aralam panchayath which is also a tourist spot. The elevation varies from 50 m to 1145 m. The highest peak here, Katti Betta, rises to a majestic 1145 m above sea level. Covered with tropical and semi evergreen forests, the Aralam Sanctuary is home to a vast variety of flora and fauna endemic to the Western Ghats. Herds of deer, elephant, boar and bison are common sights. Leopards, jungle cats and various types of squirrels are also seen here.
Ezhimala The capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an ancient historical site. It is a conspicuous, isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory. A flourishing seaport and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the 11th century. It is believed that Lord Buddha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim reformist, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare medicinal herbs. There is an old tower of great antiquity here, the Mount Deli Light House. It is maintained by the Indian Navy and is a restricted area. The beach sand is of a different texture and the sea is bluer than in other areas. At the Ettikulam bay, one can enjoy watching dolphins. Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to occupy a prominent place in the Naval history of the country, the premier naval officer training institute, the ‘Naval Academy’ is also situated here.
Kizhunna Ezhara Beach Often collectively mentioned as Kizhunna Ezhara beach, the twin beaches of Kizhunna and Ezhara lie side by side. Kannur coastal belt has some fine beaches. At Kizhunna Ezhara, 12 Kilometres from Kannur town, crimson sands meet gentle waves to form an impressive beach strip. Crimson cliffs and black rocks have teamed up to border the ends of beach crescents. People get absorbed in the protective feel of shallow natural coves, as mild surf keeps on sucking sand and rocks at the seaside. Ezhara, the southern side, has a splendid rocky shore where you will find it hard to take eyes off the coconut grove. The tip of the cliff at the far south is Munambam where a small building with tiled roof. Its green colour and old style structure blends so well with the surroundings that you may wonder what takes the place of pride in such a serene setting. It is a small mosque. On the other side of the mosque is the entrance to Munambam. Shallow calm bay is ever tempting for a swim and bath. By all means, be tempted, sparing the few weeks of peak monsoon Daytime stillness gets interrupted only by the splashing of waves and the waving of coconut palms. Occasional activities of fishermen of neighbouring villages are nowhere near a distraction. Here you find one of the North Kerala beach strips where peace is in plenty. The beauty of the place is beyond words, especially the Ezhara part of the beach. For those who feel tempted for a few days of true bliss, there is great news. There is home stays right alongside this remote beach strip.
Kottiyoor At Kottiyur, there are two temples Akkare Kottiyur and Ikkare Kottiyur located on the opposite banks of Bavali River. The festivities at Kottiyur begin with a sword from the Muthirikavu Temple in Tavinal village being taken to the Ikkare Kottiyur temple. It is believed that this sword was the one with which the mythical character Dakshan was hacked to death by Lord Shiva and is today an object of daily worship at the Muthirikavu Temple. The temple is believed to be located on the spot of the ancient Dakshayaga.
Snake Park, Here one gets to see a large genre of snakes and other small animals and there is even a live show, where trained personnel play and ‘interact’ with a variety of snakes, including cobras and vipers, and seek to quell mythical fears and superstitions about snakes. The Snake Park set up by the Visha Chikista Kendra at Pappinisseri, has been a centre of attraction to both foreign and domestic tourists. This Kendra (centre) offers effective treatment for snake bites with almost 100% cure. This is the only place, perhaps where Ayurveda and Allopathic are effectively combined for curing snake bites. The snake park here houses about 150 varieties of snakes including the Spectacled Cobra, King Cobra, Russell’s viper, Krait and various pit vipers. There is also a large collection of non-poisonous snakes including Pythons. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, many species of which are getting extinct gradually.
Madayi This beautiful ancient mosque was originally built in 1124 by Malik Ibn Dinar, a Muslim preacher. A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca by its founder who came to India to spread the word of the Prophet. Nearby lies a dilapidated fort believed to have been built by Tipu Sultan, the Ruler of Mysore. The Hindu worship places of Madayikkavu and Vadukunda Shiva temple are other attractions.
Pazhazzi Dam also called Kulur Barrage is a stone masonry diversion structure in Kannur district, Kerala. It is named after king Pazhassi Raja, a local warrior. The dam is constructed across the west flowing Valapattanam River near Kuyiloor. It was commissioned by Prime Minister Morarji Desai in 1979. It mainly functions as an irrigation dam, serving a command area of 11,525 hectares (28,480 acres) in Thalassery and Thaliparambra taluks of the Kannur District. The water from this dam also meets the drinking water requirement of Kannur district. The dam site and the reservoir are famous for their scenic beauty.
Payyambalam Beach Quiet, secluded, this beautiful stretch of sand and surf is the best locale for a relaxed evening. The Payyambalam beach is a popular picnic spot of the local people and holds much potential for development into a tourist resort. The rest of the land – Kannur – is equally fascinating to explore. Being the cradle of ageless folk arts like Theyyam and folk music, Kannur has always remained a land of ageless charms. However, if you decide to hide away at this beach destination, your stay should be arranged in the town 2 km away. Comfortable accommodation is available.
Pythal Mala Ideal for trekking, it is around 1,450 metres above sea level. A base reception centre and a watchtower atop the cliff function for the benefit of tourists and trekkers. Buses are available from Thaliparamba to the nearest bus station Pottanplavu and kappimala.
Thiruvangad Sree Ramaswami Temple The origin of this Temple is steeped in mystery. There are no records available to fix the age of this temple except for a few references in Keralolpathi and Malabar Manual. According to Kerala Mahatmyam, this temple was consecrated by Lord Parashurama – one of the incarnations of Vishnu. Yet hearsay evidence points out that this temple is about 2000 years old. According to a legend, this temple was consecrated by a sage named Swetharshi. The legend says Agasthya Muni on his way to River for offering his customary ablution was confronted by two demons named Neela and Swetha. Agastya Muni cursed them. On their request for penance, Agasthya Muni advised them to perform Tapas at two Shiva Temples. The place where Neela performed Tapas came to be known as Neeleswaram. Swetha performed his Tapas at Thiruvangad (Tiru-van-kad, meaning the sacred dense forest). They were later known as Neelarshi and Swetharshi. It is said that Swetharshi consecrated a Shiva temple & Vishnu temple at the place where he performed his Tapas. It is believed that the Shiva installed by Swetharshi was very fierce, hence to calm its fury another Shiva temple was consecrated just opposite. Now the temple complex consists of two Shiva temples facing each other on the north side and the Big Sri Rama temple on the South. There is also a slightly different version of the legend, Which says that Shiva Temple was consecrated by Neelarshi – a Shiva Bhakta and Sree Rama temple was consecrated by Swetharshi – a Vishnu Bhakta.
There are several authoritative references and records to suggest that the temple and its premises have witnessed the executions of several historical treaties and invasions. The earliest reference is possibly the inscription on the huge ‘Balikkallu’ in front of the temple denoting the year of reconstruction of the temple as AD 826. The book “Kerala Charithram” refers to the occupation of Thalassery and Thiruvangad by the troops of Kolathu Nadu, Kadathanadu and Kottayam Raja in protest against the British Chief Dorin in 1750. When Hyder Ali of Mysore invaded the Chirakkal Palace of Kolathiri Raja in 1766, Kolathiri Royal family took refuge in this temple. The Seven storeyed ‘Gopuram’ in the front entrance is said to have been destroyed during the invasion of Tipu Sultan. The plinth of these walls and gopuram are still visible today. East India Company and the British were keen to protect the interest of this temple as evidenced in the references in the Logan’s Malabar Manual. The “Brass pagoda” referred by William Logan is this temple. The inscription on the compound wall on the eastern side reads “the wall around this pagoda was constructed under the supervision of T.H. Baber Esq. in 1815”. Baber, the then Sub-Collector of Malabar was an ardent devotee and daily visitor to the temple premises who evinced immense interest in the affairs of the temple.
Taliparamba A small town of only 67,000 people crowded into a small area of 43 square kilometres. But the undulating hills that surround this little town make it exceptionally beautiful. The surrounding villages of Pattuvam, Kuttikkol and Karimbam are filled with lush green fields and little rolling hills. The rivers of Kuppam and Valapattanam surround the towns from all sides and the Arabian sea is only 14km to the western side, hanging bridge at Kuttiyeri and the beautiful riverside temple at Parassinikkadavu attract a large number of tourists. The Kannur University, Pariyaram Medical College and Sir Syed College are a few famous institutions in and around Taliparamba. The origin of Taliparamba is from the Perinchalloor brahminical settlement. Of the original 2,000 Brahmin families, only 45 remain now. The old name of Taliparamba was ‘Lakshmipura’ as this place was considered as an abode of prosperity. The ‘Raja Rajeswari Temple’ and the ‘Trichambaram temple’ are renowned places of worship. Today Muslims and Christians also form a sizeable portion of the population.
Thodikkulam Shiva Temple Kannur is one of the oldest temples of Kerala, popularly known for its ancient galleries of mural paintings. Said to be constructed about 2000 years ago, the place has the two storey sanctum constructed in a rectangular shape. An outer building and an incomplete Mukhamandapam (portico) opposite to the main shrine complete the whole structure of the temple. It comprises of around 150 mural paintings, in a 700 square feet area divided into 40 panels, sketched on the four walls of the sanctum sanctorum. Most of the paintings portray the myths related to Lord Siva and Lord Vishnu. Various tales of Hindu epics like Rukmini Swayamvaram and Ravana Vadham are drawn on these paintings. There are no roofs around the walls of the main sreekovil. On the temple front, there is no flag post and no long-lasting festival is being celebrated. On the days of ‘Sapthami’ and ‘Ashtami’ in the Malayalam month of ‘Vrishika’, and on Sivarathri, some small festivals are organised.
Valapattanam also called Ballapattam or Balyapattanam is 7 km from Kannur it’s a small town on the banks of Valapattanam river, This town is well known for its wood-based industries and timber trade. Centuries back Valapattanam puzha river was the main ship route for trading and Valapattanam was the main town, Valya pattanam means big town in the Malayalam language though it is the smallest panchayat in Kerala. The port of Azhikkal is located nearby. In the bank of Valapattanam river, you see Western India Plywoods Ltd., the largest wood-based industry in the country and which was the biggest plywood factory in Asia till a few years back.
Payyannur Situated at 40Km North of Kannur, Home for the world famous ‘Payyannur Pavithram’ ring. One of the attraction is Payyannur Sree Subramanya Swamy Temple. Payyanur is one of the extant ancient civilised places in Kerala. This northern town of Kerala claims a rich and glorious recorded history. The archaeological remains excavated from Payyanur and nearby places prove the existence of a city in this area centuries ago. The earliest known mention of this town is in the Brahmanda Purana, when Garga Muni talks about this place to the Pandavas, during their exile. The famous travellers, who visited here, have described this area with high praise. The famous traveller IBN Battuta visited Ezhimala in AD 1342 and wrote about the large seaport and the Chinese ships anchored here. In AD 1273, Abul Fida, and in AD 1293, the world-famous traveller, Marco Polo, and in the 15th century, the Italian traveller Nichols Konti all visited this place, and have given good and extensive accounts of Ezhimala port, which known by the name of “Heli”. The Portuguese Scholar and traveller Barbosa had also described this place. Centuries back, Payyanur was a part of the Ezhimala/Mushika/Kolathiri Kingdom. King Nandan who ruled this Kingdom was mighty and well known as a great warrior and ruler. The books written during the Sangam period describe this country and this King with much importance. At certain times, Ezhimala was also under the rule of the Cheras.
Raja Rajeshwara Temple The temple at Taliparamba is among the 108 ancient Kerala temples dedicated to Shiva. It is as famous as the Shiva temples at Vaikom, Ettumanur and Vadakkunnathan temple at Trichur. Taliparamba is regarded as one of the ancient Shakti Peethams. Legend has it that the head of Sati (Goddess/ wife of shiva) fell here after Shiva’s tandavam following Sati’s self-immolation. Sati was the daughter of Daksh, a respected Hindu king who had a disregard for Shiva.
The Shiva Linga here is believed to be several thousands of years old. Legend has it that Shiva gave three sacred Shiva Lingas to Parvati/Sati for worship. One sage, Maandhata, propitiated Lord Shiva with intense prayers. Shiva was so pleased that he presented one of the Shiva Lingas to him with the injunction that it should be installed only at a place where there was no cremation ground. The sage, after searching all over, found Taliparamba the most sacred spot where he installed the Shiva Linga.
After his death, the Linga disappeared into the earth. Then his son Muchukunda offered similar prayers to Shiva and got a second Shiva Linga, which too disappeared in course of time. Centuries passed. The third Shiva Linga was handed down to Satasoman, a king of Mushaka/Kolathiri/Chirakkal Royal Family, who then ruled the region. He was an ardent devotee of Shiva. On the advice of sage Agastya, he prayed to Lord Siva, who granted him the Shiva Linga. The king installed it in the present temple built by him. However, many legends associated with the Temple, claim Agastya Himself as installing the Shiva Linga.
It is believed that Sri Rama during his victorious return from Lanka stopped here to offer worship to Lord Shiva. In honour of His presence, devotees are not allowed into the namaskar mandapam even today.
Lord Shiva, as worshipped in this sacred temple, is known as Sree Rajarajeswara, which means the Emperor of Emperors “the Lord Supreme”. The name signifies the supreme transcendental power in the background of the mysterious drama of the boundless universe. That power is invoked here as Lord Rajarajeshwara. Devotees address the lord with such royal appellations as Perumthrikovilappan, Perum-chelloorappan and Thampuraan Perumthrikkovilappan.
The Jyothirlingam in the shrine in vibrant with spiritual power that exerts an enriching influence both on the material and spiritual levels of the earnest devotees. The celebrated ancient sage Agasthya Maharishi is associated with the installation of the Jyothirlingam in the shrine. The legends of temples are usually symbolic in character and are intended to convey deep messages to the spiritual inquirer and instil faith in the common man. The legends of Sri Rajarajeshwara Temple reveal the antiquity and the special significance of the Spiritual Presence.
A major legend about this temple begins with the visit of the Puranic sage Parashurama, one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu. Seeing there, an ancient shrine of vibrant spiritual power in a dilapidated condition, the sage was grief-stricken and wanted to know its history. Thereupon, sage Narada appeared there and related to him the story of the temple. According to it, sage Sanaka and others, the sons of the creator Lord Brahma, churned the disk of the Sun to lessen its fierce heat. They mixed the dust, which was formed while churning, with the divine nectar of immortality, Amrita, and out of it gave shape to three spiritually to Lord Brahma presented them to Goddess Parvathi, the consort of Lord Shiva. Goddess Parvathi presented these Shivalingams to three kings who were doing intense austerities to invoke the Goddess, one in the Thretha Yugam and the other two Dwapara Yugam. Maandhatha was the king to whom the Goddess presented the Shivalingam in the Thretha Yugam, and Muchukundam and Shathasoman were the devotees who received the other two lingams in Dwapara Yugam. Goddess Parvathi advised each of them to install the idols in such a place where no death of any creature had taken place or any dead body had fallen. After a long search for such a place, which was very difficult to locate, Maandhatha, the first one to receive the lingam, found out a small place of that description, only that much land which could accommodate a small plate. Thalika in Malayalam means a plate. It is said that the region came to be known as Taliparamba, which means the place large enough to accommodate a Thalika after this legend. Maandhatha installed his Shivalingam at this place.
Eventually, this Jyothirlingam disappeared in the earth, maintaining the place spiritually vibrant forever. Thretha Yugam was over. Then, in Dwapara Yugam, King Muchukundan, after receiving the second Jyothirlingam from Goddess Parvathi as instructed, was also in search for a spot where no death had taken place naturally he also came to the same spot where Maandhatha had installed the first Shivalingam. He installed his Shivalingam at the same spot. This Shivalingam was also eventually dissolved into the earth again reinforcing the spot spiritually. Then came king Shathasoman, the one who received the third Shivalingam. He was also naturally attracted to the same spot and installed his Shivalingam there. While installing, this Lingam also began sinking into the earth. King Shathasoman thereupon prayed for Sage Agasthya’s help. The sage appeared and after lighting a ghee lamp prostrated before the Shivalingam twelve times; when he began the thirteenth prostration, the Lingam got firmly fixed on the earth — therefore the number of prostrations the Sage Agasthya performed for his purpose came to be known as twelve and a half. Thus with the installation of the third Shivalingam, the sacred spot became spiritually vibrant threefold.
Hearing this story from sage Narada, devotion welled up in the heart of sage Parashurama, and he decided to renovate the temple for the welfare of mankind. As desired by the sage, the celestial architect Ari Vishwakarma performed the renovation work. During the final stage of the renovation, sage Agasthya appeared on the scene and, after making abhisheka (ablution) on the idol, lighted a ghee lamp. This lamp has shone continuously ever since, with a regular supply of ghee. The offering of ghee in gold, silver and copper pitchers with intense devotion, is an important offering for the lord.
Temple legends are highly symbolic representations of the subtle spiritual principles and highlight the nature and intensity of the spiritual presence at a particular place. They instil devotion and convey their deeper message to the spiritual seeker. The above-mentioned legend highlights the fact that at this unique centre of spiritual power discovered and maintained by the great sages of yore, one can receive profound Divine grace for material progress and spiritual unfoldment.
The Mangrove Trail of Malabar is a coastal Jungle trail in North Kerala located at Payyannur in Kannur district offering close-up views of aquatic, plant and bird life. The main attraction of the Mangrove trail is the Mangrove ecosystem and the breathtaking landscape dominated by tidal creeks and waterways. This intertidal ecosystem in Kerala, loosely described as the Mangrove Trail of Malabar is inhabited by a variety of fish, shrimps, crabs, mudskippers and some of the most sought after birds in the world. Ravi, Kannur. Kadachira- (10 km from Kannur towards Koothuparamba) is a small town. The beautiful backwaters joining the Arabian sea is just 2 Km from Kadachira Town.
Kizhunna Beaches are very well defined and untouched beaches in Kerala. Quite away from the crowd but still close to the town these beaches offer an unmatched experience to its visitors. Better than local tourists these beaches better serve European travellers especially due to the presence of several home stays and beach houses nearby.
Muzhappilangad Drive-In Beach A long clean beach, its enchanting ambience invites you to swim sunbathes or just lounge around. Its Kerala’s only drive-in beach and one could drive the entire length of 4 km. There is an unpaved road winding through coconut groves, leading to the beach. The beach is about 5 kilometres long and curves in a wide area providing a good view of Kannur beach on the north. To the South and about 200 metres away from the beach, there is a beautiful island called the “Green Island” which adds to the allure of the beach. Such a conjunction of beach and island is rare.