Pamban Bridge connects the town of Rameshwaram on Pamban Island to the mainland. Plans for a bridge to connect to the mainland were suggested in 1870 as the British Administration sought ways to increase trade with Ceylon. The construction began in August 1911 and was opened on 24 February 1914. The adjacent road bridge was opened in 1988. It was India’s first sea bridge and was the longest sea bridge in India until the opening of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in 2010. The rail bridge is, for the most part, a conventional bridge resting on concrete piers, but has a double leaf bascule section midway, which can be raised to let ships and barges pass through. After the cyclone of 1964, A plan for a Road bridge parallel to the Existed Railway bridge was proposed by the Tamilnadu Government, but it was cancelled by Indian Railway Ministry. The construction works of Pamban Road bridge was commenced on 17.11.1974 by the Indian Highway department. Which estimated the cost of 537.57 Lakhs contracted to M/S Neelakandan Brothers Engs, Madras. After the 1978 cyclone the work was carried out slowly, After few years the construction work contract was given to the New Gammon India Ltd. The Government then sanctioned 16.6514 crore rupees in 1986. The work was completed on 1988. This Road Bridge was named as ANNAI INDIRA GANDHI ROAD BRIDGE, and inaugurated by former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi On the date of October 2, 1988.