Vedapureeswarar Temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. Constructed in the Dravidian style of architecture, the temple was demolished by the French troops in 1748. Shiva is worshipped as Vedapureeswarar and his consort Parvathi as Tiripurasundari. A granite wall surrounds the temple, enclosing all its shrines. The temple has a five-tiered raja gopuram, the gateway tower. A Dewan named Dewan Kandappa Mudaliar expanded the temple with the help of public contributions in 1788. The temple is open from 6 am – 12:30 pm and 4:30 – 8:00 pm on all days. Four daily rituals and many yearly festivals are held at the temple, of which the Brahmotsavam festival during the Tamil month of Vaikasi (May – June), Annabishekam during Aipassi (October – November) and Sivarathri during Masi (February – March) being the most prominent.