Vayalur Murugan Temple is is around 1200 years old built during the reign of the Cholas. The main deity in the temple is Muruga, it is behind the Moolavar Shiva Sannithy, Agni Theertham also known as Shakthi Theertham. According to legends Chola King came to this spot in search of water to quench his thirst after long hunting. He found a sugar cane with three branches and wanted to squeeze and drink the juice. When he broke it, blood sprang from the Sugarcane and after digging the ground, a Shiva Linga was found. The king built a temple on the spot. After protecting sage Arunagiri when he fell from the tower of the Thiruvannamalai temple, Lord Muruga gave the first line to enable him to sing His praise and directed him to come to Vayalur. Arunagiri came to Vayalur, worshipped Poyya Ganapathy and had the darshan of Lord Muruga. Lord Muruga wrote the Pranava Mantra on the tongue of Arunagiri with his weapon Vel. In the long volume of Tirupugazh, Vayalur has a special place of importance. It is due to the personal devotion and dedication of the great Muruga devotee Sri Kripanandavariar, who lived in the last century, Vayalur came to be known as a temple of great reputation among the Muruga temples in the state of Tamilnadu. Those inflicted with Naga dosha (aspect of snake) use to have a dip in the tank in the temple and worship Lord Muruga for a relief. Obstacles in marriage also disappear. Vayalur is considered great among the many centres of worship in the state of Tamilnadu. Devotees throng here for cure from diseases, children, longevity, education, wisdom, prosperity, good farm yields.